Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Recent Cake Creations

Just wanted to share some of my recent cake creations.

I try to do something a little different everytime I make a cake.

This first one was for Ms. Pants' 1st birthday cake in February. It was a vanilla cake with strawberry and whipped cream filling.

I had a little trouble with the frosting color - I wanted purple, so I bought purple gel coloring but it turned out blue! After much frustration and finally giving up trying to make it purple, I took the blue frosting and started frosting the extra cupcakes which I had filled through the tops with whipped cream. The residual whipped cream mixed with the frosting and it turned purple! There was much rejoicing.



This next one I made for our ward's annual spaghetti dinner and cake auction (to raise money for youth summer camps) in April.

I called it the If you don't like chocolate, then this cake is not for you chocolate cake.

It's triple chocolate cake with chocolate cream and ganache filling. The frosting is chocolate (naturally) and the sides are covered in chocolate ganache. The chocolate lattice on the top I'd never tried before. I used ganache as well and it turned out very nice.



This last cake I made for an Activity Days event in May.

It was vanilla cake with lemon marscapone cream (my recipe can be found HERE) and ladyfinger filling with lemon buttercream frosting.

I had never made leaves before so I went crazy on this one. I thought they were so cute. And the flowers turned out nice as well. I changed colors midway through decorating but I used the same bag so some of the flowers are orange and yellow - it makes for a pretty effect.



My oldest child is already making outrageous demands for her birthday cake so stayed tuned for that in September! Until then, happy baking!

No comments: