Thursday, February 10, 2011

Birthday Cupcakes



I wanted to do something a little different for my birthday this year. I didn't feel like making a big cake with lots and lots of butter-cream. We've been trying to be healthier in our house afterall.

So I went with cupcakes. I like to only make 18 (as opposed to 24) so that they have a more uniform shape and they're aren't any 'duds'. You know what I mean.

And I filled them with amaretto flavored whipped cream and put chocolate ganache over the tops.

Now, there's a million ways to make whipped cream (exactly a million, I counted ;) ). I wanted my cream to be a little heavier than the whipped cream we usually make so I used white sugar instead of confectioner's sugar.

Stacy's Amaretto Whipped Cream

1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
2 tablespoon White Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Almond Extract

Put everything in your mixer and have at it until it's the consistency you want.

To inject them into your cupcakes just put them in a pastry bag with a round tip and poke it into the top of the cupcake.

They turned out really yummy and we put the extras in the freezer for a rainy day.

No comments: