I wanted to make a spring dress for my three year old - it seems to be getting harder and harder to find anything acceptable in the stores - and I had this pattern from the 1950s from my Grandma's house that I wanted to try out. The pattern paper was still in pristine condition - impressive considering it's nearly a senior citizen.
I did a couple of things I've never done before - like buttons. I don't really like how those turned out but I think I've finally gotten over it. An important lesson I've learned - don't make the buttonholes too close to the edge of your fabric. Also, don't work on a sewing project when you're ill.
The other thing I hadn't done before was altering the pattern - I was afraid that the bodice wasn't going to be wide enough so I added an inch. It turns out that it probably wasn't necessary but it looks good so I guess that's all that matters.
I made view #3 - minus the cummerbund and I added sleeves (shorter than the ones pictured in view #1). I also added a lining and the pin-tuck detail to the bottom of the skirt. Side note: I did make a cummerbund - but I didn't like it at all! Then I made a sash which didn't work either. I decided it was good enough as is.
Overall it came out well and I really do love this fabric. Madeline really seems to like it, too.